CVE number = CVE-2022-20695
A vulnerability in the authentication functionality of Cisco Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Software could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to bypass authentication controls and log in to the device through the management interface
This vulnerability is due to the improper implementation of the password validation algorithm. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by logging in to an affected device with crafted credentials. A successful exploit could allow the attacker to bypass authentication and log in to the device as an administrator. The attacker could obtain privileges that are the same level as an administrative user but it depends on the crafted credentials.
Note: This vulnerability exists because of a non-default device configuration that must be present for it to be exploitable.
- Vulnerable ProductsThis vulnerability affects the following Cisco products if they are running Cisco WLC Software Release 126.96.36.199 or Release 188.8.131.52 and have macfilter radius compatibility configured as Other:
- 3504 Wireless Controller
- 5520 Wireless Controller
- 8540 Wireless Controller
- Mobility Express
- Virtual Wireless Controller (vWLC)
- Note: The vulnerable releases noted above are available in the Software Center on Cisco.com. In addition, specific customers have been given the following vulnerable escalation builds that are not in the Software Center:
- 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11
- 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124
Cisco has released software updates that address this vulnerability. There are workarounds that address this vulnerability.
This advisory is available at the following link:
UK based technology professional, with an interest in computer security and telecoms.