When opening an online-only file in your OneDrive folder, you receive the following error:
Can’t open online-only file
Make sure you’re connected to the internet, then try again.
We can download the file next time you’re online.
The error displays even when you are online.
Follow the steps in this section carefully.
Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
- Ensure that Windows 10 version 1809 or newer is installed. For more information, see Update Windows 10.
- Using Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\UEV\Agent\Configuration.
- Right-click Configuration, select New > DWORD value.
- Name the value ApplyExplorerCompatFix with a value of 1.
- Close Registry Editor and open the online-only file.
UK based technology professional, with an interest in computer security and telecoms.