Toshiba exits the laptop market

Back in 2018 Toshiba sold 80.1% of it’s shares in its laptop business to Sharp. As of last week, it sold off the remaining 19.9% share of the business it had retained, giving Sharp total control. And that brings to an end Toshiba’s presence in the PC market.

The former Toshiba PC business now known as Dynabook.

A statement issued by Toshiba said the following :-

Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO: 6502) hereby announces that it has transferred the 19.9% of the outstanding shares in Dynabook Inc. that it held to Sharp Corporation. As a result of this transfer, Dynabook has become a wholly owned subsidiary of Sharp.

Under the terms of a June 2018 share purchase agreement between Toshiba and Sharp, Toshiba transferred to Sharp 80.1% of the outstanding shares of Toshiba Client Solutions Co., Ltd (hereinafter TCS), then Toshiba’s wholly owned subsidiary in the personal computer business. That transfer closed in October 2018, and TCS changed its name to Dynabook in January 2019. On June 30, 2020, under the terms of the share purchase agreement, Sharp exercised a call option for the remaining outstanding shares of Dynabook held by Toshiba, and Toshiba has completed procedures for their transfer.

Jason Davies

UK based technology professional, with an interest in computer security and telecoms.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: