This security update (KB4018381) resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see the following Microsoft security advisories:
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8149
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8155
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8156
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8161
Note To apply this security update, you must have the release version of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2016 installed on the computer.
This public update delivers Feature Pack 2 for SharePoint Server 2016, which contains the following feature:
- SharePoint Framework (SPFx)
This public update also delivers all the features that were included in Feature Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2016, including:
- Administrative Actions Logging
- MinRole enhancements
- SharePoint Custom Tiles
- Hybrid Auditing (preview)
- Hybrid Taxonomy
- OneDrive API for SharePoint on-premises
- OneDrive for Business modern experience (available to Software Assurance customers)
The OneDrive for Business modern user experience requires an active Software Assurance contract at the time that the experience is enabled, either by installation of the public update or by manual enablement. If you don’t have an active Software Assurance contract at the time of enablement, you must turn off the OneDrive for Business modern user experience.
For more information, see New features included in the November 2016 Public Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (Feature Pack 1) and New features included in the September 2017 Public Update for SharePoint Server 2016 (Feature Pack 2).
Improvements and fixes
This security update contains improvements and fixes for the following nonsecurity issues in Project Server 2016:
- If the proxy for the Project Service Application services already exists when you create a new Project Service application by using Install-SPService –Verbose command, an additional proxy for the service is created.
- Consider the following scenario:
- As a team member, you open your timesheet and enter work for two adjacent days.
- On the first day, you set the actual work value back to zero.
- On the first day, you set 8 hours of non-working time on an administrator task (for example, vacation)
- You send a status update for approval.
- You open the previous week timesheet.
- You enter actual work values.
- You send the timesheet for approval, and the status manager approves it.
In this case, the actual work that was entered on the second of the two days moves to the first day. The actual work should not move when the status update is applied to the project.
- When you publish a project in which the process updates the Summary Resource Assignment to a later date, the publish fails if the server is configured to use a date format other than MM-DD-YY.
This security update contains improvements and fixes for the following nonsecurity issues in SharePoint Server 2016:
- When an item is deleted from the usage analytics caches, the item is now also deleted from the analytics reporting database.
- If you don’t have sufficient permission to mount a content database to a farm by using the Mount-SPContentDatabase cmdlet, the cmdlet fails and the database is dropped unexpectedly.
- This update introduces the “My Site creation default to OneDrive in Office 365” hybrid feature in SharePoint Server 2016. After you install this update and enable this feature, hybrid-enabled users can have their OneDrive personal sites provisioned in the cloud instead of on-premises. On-premise only users can still have their OneDrive personal sites provisioned on-premises.
- You cannot use the SharePoint Term Store Management UI in browsers other than Internet Explorer.
- The WebPart.ZoneID property is unavailable in the Web Part information.
- SharePoint emails that are longer than 1,000 characters could become corrupted at the 1,000-character position. Depending on what content happens to be at that position, the corruption could be minor (corrupted text) or severe (broken HTML markup).
- This update fixes the following three issues with the SharePoint Properties Panel:
- When you save a SharePoint properties panel with required properties for the first time, you cannot find the properties.
- The DateTime format is assumed to MM/DD/YY.
- Drop-down of lookup type is set to nil when the label is selected.
How to get and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft Update
This update is available from Microsoft Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates automatically, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Method 3: Microsoft Download Center
You can get the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. Follow the installation instructions on the download page to install the update.
Security update deployment information
For deployment information about this update, see security update deployment information: May 8, 2018.
Security update replacement information
This security update replaces previously released security update KB 4018336.
File hash information
|Package Name||Package Hash SHA 1||Package Hash SHA 2|
For a list of the files that are included in this cumulative update (KB 4018381), download the file information.
Duncan is a technology professional with over 20 years experience of working in various IT roles. He also has a wide range of other skills in radio, electronics and telecommunications.